Can she save her container garden?
About Gardening: Container Garden Crisis
by Mira Dessy
I started a container garden in my new home because I didn't want the chemicals from all the neighbors' yards washing down the hill into my tomatoes. I really tried to make "good dirt," but I think I may have gone too far. I used a mixture of top soil with Nature's Helper and a handful (or 2?) of cow manure in each pot. The pots are about 14" across. I have some tiny tomatoes, but the plants are yellow and spindly. They are not growing and flourishing. They get plenty of sun and rain. What did I do wrong and is there anything I can do to save them?
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think you maybe overdid the mixture. I don't know what proportions everything is so I can't really speak for what is happening specifically, but yellowing tomato leaves usually means that there is an iron deficiency. I don't think there is a lot that you can do right now to fix the problem. I think for next year I would mix some of what is in the pot with an additional 1/3 of top soil and see if that helps.
Take the Next Step
- Find more container gardening tips and advice in the TDS library.
- The Shoestring Gardener provides creatively frugal gardening how-tos, remedies & tips.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- What tools do you need to start a food garden?
- DIY repair of ripped window and door screens
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?