About Gardening: Container Garden Crisis
by Mira Dessy
I started a container garden in my new home because I didn't want the chemicals from all the neighbors' yards washing down the hill into my tomatoes. I really tried to make "good dirt," but I think I may have gone too far. I used a mixture of top soil with Nature's Helper and a handful (or 2?) of cow manure in each pot. The pots are about 14" across. I have some tiny tomatoes, but the plants are yellow and spindly. They are not growing and flourishing. They get plenty of sun and rain. What did I do wrong and is there anything I can do to save them?
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think you maybe overdid the mixture. I don't know what proportions everything is so I can't really speak for what is happening specifically, but yellowing tomato leaves usually means that there is an iron deficiency. I don't think there is a lot that you can do right now to fix the problem. I think for next year I would mix some of what is in the pot with an additional 1/3 of top soil and see if that helps.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?