Just a Lady or a Homewrecker?
I have heard that ladybugs can sometimes do as much damage as termites. I fear I may have a problem. I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. We have a 1930 Cape Cod. Where can I find their nest and how can I get rid of them?
I have never heard of ladybugs doing any damage to homes at all. They are not capable of eating or chewing wood... they are mostly carnivores (with a few vegetarians thrown in). Your dog or cat may be at greater risk than your house... just kidding! Furthermore, ladybugs are a valued ally in the battle against other types of insects, such as aphids, which cause extensive damage to favorable shrubs and plants.
Ladybugs are known to hibernate in buildings during the winter and to sometimes emerge during warm spells. In fact, my own church swarms with them at times during the fall and Indian summer. They are more common in older buildings that have more access points due to the looser construction of the cheap energy days.
If you are still concerned, or even if you just find them to be a nuisance, a licensed exterminator worth his salt should be able to eliminate them. He probably won't really look for the "nest"... he will "shotgun" treat the affected wall with the appropriate chemical.
COPYRIGHT 1998 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?