Toyota Running Too Rough
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I hope you can help me. I have a '92 Toyota Tercel with 75, 000 mi. I had the timing belt replaced a month ago, along with the water pump, transmission service and radiator service. After I got the car back it ran much worse than when I brought it in. Idling while still was terrible and there was a jerkiness between the lower gears when changing. Brought it back to that shop 2 times, they didn't make any significant changes, the car still ran very choppy(especially when still). Also noticed the temp gauge was going up to mid-level after only a few minutes of running the car. Took it to another ASE-approved place: they changed distributor cap and said everything was fine. I thought that maybe the timing belt change had been done badly and the "teeth(?) might not be in alignment. Well, it still continues to jiggle and vibrate when idling and I am exhausted as to what to do next. Any suggestions?
To me, it sounds like the timing belt is off by a notch or two somewhere. Since your troubles all started after the timing belt replacement, that is what I would think. In addition, you mention some other key point, rough idle, runs hotter. All are indicative of timing problems. Now, the first shop probably doesn't want to admit that they did something wrong and they are trying everything else. The second guy, did you tell him that the timing belt was recently replaced? If not, these can also be symptoms of a bad tune up.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: AskBob@stretcher.com. He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?