Toyota Running Too Rough
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I hope you can help me. I have a '92 Toyota Tercel with 75, 000 mi. I had the timing belt replaced a month ago, along with the water pump, transmission service and radiator service. After I got the car back it ran much worse than when I brought it in. Idling while still was terrible and there was a jerkiness between the lower gears when changing. Brought it back to that shop 2 times, they didn't make any significant changes, the car still ran very choppy(especially when still). Also noticed the temp gauge was going up to mid-level after only a few minutes of running the car. Took it to another ASE-approved place: they changed distributor cap and said everything was fine. I thought that maybe the timing belt change had been done badly and the "teeth(?) might not be in alignment. Well, it still continues to jiggle and vibrate when idling and I am exhausted as to what to do next. Any suggestions?
To me, it sounds like the timing belt is off by a notch or two somewhere. Since your troubles all started after the timing belt replacement, that is what I would think. In addition, you mention some other key point, rough idle, runs hotter. All are indicative of timing problems. Now, the first shop probably doesn't want to admit that they did something wrong and they are trying everything else. The second guy, did you tell him that the timing belt was recently replaced? If not, these can also be symptoms of a bad tune up.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: AskBob@stretcher.com. He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?