Coincidence? Or Did the Dealer Goof?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
On Sept. 2, I had my 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix serviced because the front power window on the passenger side would not open. I was told that the wire had fallen out of the switch in the passenger side door.
On Sept. 5, the passenger window would not open by using the driver's side control. But once I got it open from the passenger's side, it opened from the driver's side as well.
As I was driving on Sept. 6, the "antilock" light was constantly lit on the dashboard, and then the turn signals stopped functioning. When I tried to use the turn signals, the sound from the radio went off momentarily. I then parked in a lot and was unable to restart the car, which I had to have towed.
The dealership is now telling me that I need a new alternator. My question is: Is it possible that an improper repair of the window caused the other electrical problems? The dealer insists that there is no connection, but I am skeptical.
IMHO, if the dealership was to perform a faulty repair, I would think that the worst that would happen would be a blown fuse. If the window motor was drawing too much current (one of the causes of alternator failure) then the protective fuse should have blown. Now, unless all of these things are on the same circuit (antilock brakes, radio, ignition) I really can't see the connection. Looks like it's just a bad coincidence and you will need to replace the alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?