Broken CV Boots: Replace Immediately?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '94 Nissan Sentra. I recently had the brake pads replaced and was told that my CV boots are broken. Since that time I have driven my car approx. 80 miles. I would like to replace them immediately but have had to wait on finances. I need to drive it approx. 80 miles furthur before I can get them replaced. I have been quoted $200 to have them replaced. Does this sound correct and what is the risk that I am going to create greater more costly problems in the mean time.
Just because the boots are broken, does not impose a safety risk on your part! What it means is that the protective covering over the cv joints had broken and will allow dirt and grime to get in. This will, in time, deteriorate the joint. Now, the easiest way to tell if you have a problem today, is when the car is stop, turn the steering wheel fully in one direction and slowly drive. Do you hear any type of clicking? Do the same in the other direction. If no noise, then you are okay for a while.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?