Refinishing Marble Countertops
Cheap Bathroom Makeover
Renewing Bathroom Sinks
I need to refinish my cultured marble bathroom counter tops. I have done the following so far: Wet sanded the surface with 220, 400 and 600 grit sand paper which got rid of the stains and etched areas from setting down tile cleaner.
Also got some 2000 grit which made it smoother but didn't polish it. Tried using automotive rubbing compound to restore the shine but it did not work. Had some one micron alumna slurry (a left over from an engineering project where I used to work) and tried to use my electric buffer with it. It sort of worked but it seemed to gouge out soft areas in the counter top. Have any suggestions?
Cultured marble is not like Corian or the other so-called solid surface products. The surface coloring is a coating, does not go through the countertop, and can be permanently defaced by deep scratches or excessive scouring and abrasive cleaning. If you have not completely removed the glazed surface by sanding, you may be able to restore some of the sheen by applying a wax product known as Gel Gloss. Though I have not used it specifically on cultured marble, I have had great success with this product on both Formica and plastic shower enclosures that have lost their new surface glow. At the least it will prevent staining of the now vulnerable surface by typical bathroom medicines and chemicals. Otherwise, you could try to coat the surface with a few coats of gloss polyurethane varnish, or even paint it with an epoxy base paint. All your prep work will not have gone to waste!
Copyright 1998 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?