Refinishing Marble Countertops
Cheap Bathroom Makeover
Renewing Bathroom Sinks
I need to refinish my cultured marble bathroom counter tops. I have done the following so far: Wet sanded the surface with 220, 400 and 600 grit sand paper which got rid of the stains and etched areas from setting down tile cleaner.
Also got some 2000 grit which made it smoother but didn't polish it. Tried using automotive rubbing compound to restore the shine but it did not work. Had some one micron alumna slurry (a left over from an engineering project where I used to work) and tried to use my electric buffer with it. It sort of worked but it seemed to gouge out soft areas in the counter top. Have any suggestions?
Cultured marble is not like Corian or the other so-called solid surface products. The surface coloring is a coating, does not go through the countertop, and can be permanently defaced by deep scratches or excessive scouring and abrasive cleaning. If you have not completely removed the glazed surface by sanding, you may be able to restore some of the sheen by applying a wax product known as Gel Gloss. Though I have not used it specifically on cultured marble, I have had great success with this product on both Formica and plastic shower enclosures that have lost their new surface glow. At the least it will prevent staining of the now vulnerable surface by typical bathroom medicines and chemicals. Otherwise, you could try to coat the surface with a few coats of gloss polyurethane varnish, or even paint it with an epoxy base paint. All your prep work will not have gone to waste!
Copyright 1998 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?