Lack of Power
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 1991 Chevy van with a recently remanufactured 350 is having trouble. After starting up, it idles fairly roughly and loudly. Upon giving it gas, it gets me going ok, but with nowhere near the power it had before it started knocking a few weeks ago. I have plenty of oil pressure and I've been told that because of that, my rod knuckles are ok. The knocking occurs when I'm trying to accelerate or am going up a hill. I've gone on the freeway with it, but the knocking is still there, and the power really lacks. I've changed the plugs, points, and distributor cap to no avail. By turning the distributor clockwise a little, I'm able to lose the knock but I also lose even more power. Can you help me? Would it possibly be an ignition module?
It sounds like the timing is out of whack. I would :
1) reset the timing according to the service manual
2) verify that the vacuum advance is working
3) use higher octane gas
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: AskBob@stretcher.com. He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?