Powerless Ram Pickup
Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1985 Dodge B250 Ram van with a stock 318. It started running really rough, and a friend who knows Mopar did a tune up and replaced the timing gears and chain for me. In park or neutral, the engine runs fine, with no hesitation as it's revved up. In drive, accelerating makes it cough, sputter and jerk at lower RPMs, and miss a little at higher RPMs (downshifted). (This is what it did before any work was done on it). At steady speeds, it runs fine.
The compression is fine in all pistons. We've tried replacing the coil, distributor cap, plug wires and electronic ignition module. The carb has been rebuilt, the intake manifold gaskets have been replaced, and (in park) the intake manifold vacuum registers okay. I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere, and took it to the dealer for professional help. $134.00 later, he told me I have a vacuum leak somewhere (duh). Can you give me any suggestions?
If I was going to offer the same advice, I'd say a vacuum leak to your ignition advance is not operating correctly. Now, it could be that the vacuum leak is in the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm. Also, check the main line to the brake booster, and the PCV system.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- DIY spider control Video
- A burglar reveals 15 trade secrets
- Cutting back on tree trimming costs
- Ways to save money in your workshop
- How much does it cost to run appliances?
- Cleaning engineered hardwood floors
- Keeping winter utility bills manageable
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?