His work clothes smell like diesel fuel!
Eliminating Fuel Smells from Laundry
Homemade Fabric Fresheners
Eliminating Mothball Odors
Homemade Laundry Soap
How to Remove Diesel Fuel Smells
My husband drives a fuel truck. Does anyone know how to remove smells/stains of diesel/gasoline from his work clothes? The smell permeates everything! It's turning cold where we live and I will not be able to dry them outside much longer!
Coke Classic Eliminates Odors
When washing these clothes pour a can of Coca-Cola Classic in the machine with your detergent. This will remove the petroleum products completely, which I suspect is the problem. You must use Coke!
Baking Soda Odor Eliminator
My husband drives a fuel tanker as well; I have found that adding 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda when I add detergent helps remove the odors and stains from his work clothes. If the baking soda doesn't help try pre-washing in Pine-Sol or Mr.Clean, either one removes the stains and oily residue from the clothes.
Amonia Will Remove Diesel Odors
To get odors out of your clothes, add some plain ammonia to the water while washing them. Gets rid of musty smells. Put it in the water with your soap and other things, not on top of the clothes. Use 1/2 cup. I used it in washing old "down" quilts that had been in an attic for a long time. Washed them and set them outside in the air. Were good as new.
Try rubbing mechanic's hand soap (GoJo Creme is a common brandname)on the oily spots, then wash as normal. The best type is the kind that doesn't need water, contains lanolin and is commonly found in a plastic tub (for about $.99). I got this trick from a woman who always wore white and worked with me in a machine shop(!), at the end of the day she would put some hand soap on any (the many) spots and they always came out. I've since found out it will remove almost any stain.
My late husband used to drive a fuel truck, and the diesel fuel was the worst smell to get out. What I put in the laundry to help clean better and get rid of the odors was 1 to 2 cups of white vineagar, it also helped get the grease and oil out of his clothes. The vineagar is good to use just to get better smelling clothes.
Good Quality Detergent
My husband is a diesel mechanic, and I have had to wash his uniform for over ten years. I find that washing them in hot water with Tide with Bleach and drying them with a fabric softener sheet works fine. (I learned long ago that using a "bargain brand" detergent in not worth it, I only use Tide with Bleach. You may also try adding !/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse water. I just put it in my fabric softener dispenser. if you don't have this feature on your machine try one of those "Downy Balls"
Oil to Remove Oil
Try adding a drop or two of eucalyptus oil to the wash after filled with water.
I found after years of greasy clothes leaving gunk in my washer that heavy duty (industrial) Pinesol (approx. 3/4 cup in full load) along with the soap does a great job.
My fiancee drives a semi-truck and always seems to be getting either diesel fuel or axle grease on his clothing. The best thing I've found to remove the stains and smell is to pre-treat the clothing with Dawn dishwashing detergent, and then wash them as usual. I have even added some to the whole load to get rid of the fuel smell.
Take the Next Step:
- If you like using Soap Nuts for your laundry then you'll LOVE Eco Nuts!
- Subscribe to our weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this free html newsletter features tips and articles to help you stretch your dollar and survive in this challenging economy.
Discuss "Smelly Man Clothes" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?