All Oil Created Equal?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
How Oil Change Coupons Can Cost You
DIY Oil Changes
I realized that I needed some oil in my car on the way home from work one day and stopped at a little auto parts store. The only 5W-30 brand they had was "CarQuest." I was hesitant to buy it because I only use Valvoline brand. But the salesman told me that CarQuest is the exact same oil - that Valvoline makes it under this name and sells it for less. Could this be true? I have doubts that this would be the same quality. What do you think?
Jenny in Williamsburg, VA
A lot of the oil manufactures sell their product under private labels for auto stores. For instance, I was informed that Pep Boys oil is actually manufactured by Castrol, Associated Auto / Auto Pride is made by Valvoline. So it could be true that Car Quest is made by them. Now, it could also be true that he just told you that it was your brand to make a sale. None the less, one quart when the car is low will not make any difference. The slight differences in the oil are far out weighed by the damage that could be done on an engine running low on oil.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Editor's note: The following was received about Castrol regarding Bob's answer.
I read your response to Jenny the other day on "The Car Care Clinic," and although we all enjoy reading your comments and answers, we noticed that your response to Jenny contained an incorrect statement: "... Pep Boys oil is actually manufactured by Castrol ..." Castrol does not manufacture motor oil for Pep Boys or any other auto retailer or mass merchandiser. Castrol has its own brands: Castrol GTX, Castrol SYNTEC BLEND and Castrol FULL SYNTHETIC, which it markets and distributes to major retailers and specialty stores. Those outlets carry our products under our label only. Now that you have this information, please feel free to share it with your readers in the future.
Castrol North America Consumer
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?