Hot Water Heater Sounds
by Sherm Turner
Whenever I use a lot of hot water, afterward when I turn on a hot water valve anywhere in the house, I get a surge of pressure and a loud gurgling sound inside the waterheater. The water heater is only 1 year old. I replaced the main line pressure regulator and it is set at 50psi. I have bled the pipes and I dont think there's air in the system. What could be causing this problem? The waterheater is a Reliance 501 gas heater. The pressure reducer is a Case-Acme. The house was built in 1985. Any suggestions?
Tired of Gurgling
It sounds like you need to install a thermal expansion device. In plumbing it is called "shock control absorber" and allows for expansion and contraction. That should eliminate the gurgling.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: email@example.com. If you've benefited from his advice, please send a free will donation, on his behalf, to a favorite charity.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?