Hot Water Heater Sounds
by Sherm Turner
Whenever I use a lot of hot water, afterward when I turn on a hot water valve anywhere in the house, I get a surge of pressure and a loud gurgling sound inside the waterheater. The water heater is only 1 year old. I replaced the main line pressure regulator and it is set at 50psi. I have bled the pipes and I dont think there's air in the system. What could be causing this problem? The waterheater is a Reliance 501 gas heater. The pressure reducer is a Case-Acme. The house was built in 1985. Any suggestions?
Tired of Gurgling
It sounds like you need to install a thermal expansion device. In plumbing it is called "shock control absorber" and allows for expansion and contraction. That should eliminate the gurgling.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: email@example.com. If you've benefited from his advice, please send a free will donation, on his behalf, to a favorite charity.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?