Covering Semi-Gloss Paint
I'm painting the inside of my house. Currently, the walls are painted with a semigloss finish, which has been on for about 20 years. I have used TSP to clean the walls. Is there a way I can paint over the old finish without having to sand the walls?
K in Scranton, PA
Sanding can be avoided in two ways. First, you can use a heavy-duty primer sealer as a first coat before applying your finish paint. The oil-based products, such as Kilz and Zinsser Cover Stain, will stick to anything (even glass), and give a good stable surface for top coating.
If you prefer not to use a primer, you can use a deglossing liquid such as Wilbond. The deglosser cleans and prepares the surface for repainting. If the original paint was latex, deglossers make its surface slightly tacky. If the original paint was oil, the deglossers are less effective--a light sanding to scuff up the surface might be desirable before using the deglosser, or instead of it.
If you want the best of both worlds, use the deglosser immediately prior to priming. This will remove any remaining oils or grease that the TSP missed, and prep the walls for the best possible adhesion of the primer.
COPYRIGHT 1998 G.G. ALONZY
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?