Turn the Key and Nothing Happens (Sometimes)
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband and I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla DX. It is our "good" car, and thus far we have had only minor problems, nothing too serious or too terribly expensive. In the past day or two though when I have gotten in the car and tried to start it it won't do anything the first or second try, usually three is the magic number. The lights work, but there is no engine sound, no "clicking," nothing. It doesn't attempt to turn over at all. I was wondering if there is a larger problem waiting in the future other than momentary panic when the car won't start. Could it be the alternator or something to that nature? Please advise!
So, you turn the key and nothing. The dashboard lights up, but nothing happens with the motor. It could be one of three things:
- bad ignition switch
- bad starter
- bad starter solenoid
I would look at the last two first.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?