Easier Oil Changes?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I saw an advertisement in Skymall (airline catalog) for an oil/liquid pump ($65). This device is basically a hand pump that can hold up to 6L. One of its primary uses is to change oil--the ad states that one merely needs to place the suction tube down the dipstick pipe in a car, pump out all the oil, then add the new oil. Is this a legitimate way to change oil? If it is, how much oil do I replace it with (I've never done it on my own), and what else should I change at the same time? Thanks for your time.
One problem that I see with that is how do you get all of the sludge out as well? Usually one would remove the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan, and most of the sludge would be flushed out with the oil. In addition, you should change the oil filter. The amount of oil that needs to be replaced will vary from car to car. I would look in the owner's manual to see the exact amount required.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?