Washing Machine Drain Problems
by Sherm Turner
I have a problem. When the washer spins, the water backs up into kitchen sink. Both run in 1 1/2" pipe to a 1 1/2" copper "y fitting" and then to drain stack 10 or so feet away. I have tried a snake with no clog found. I used the snake on vent line and didn't find anything. What could cause this back up? The water needs to travel back up 1 1/2" from "y fitting" to sink about 10 feet from crawl space. Do I need to move washer line to larger drain like toilet (4") drain line?
The 1 1/2" piping and 1 1/2" size trap should be at least 2" or larger with a 36" stand pipe, 2 or 3 inches in size. You're simply trying to push too much water through too small a pipe.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: email@example.com. If you've benefited from his advice, please send a free will donation, on his behalf, to a favorite charity.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?