Can't Fill Gas Tank
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a very perplexing problem that has recently developed when I attempt to fill my car's gas tank (a '96 Dodge Stratus). About a month ago, I noticed that the gas pump at the station would shut off, as if the car was full, while I was still filling the tank. The problem has worsened to where I have to pump the handle of the gas pump about every 10 seconds to get the car to fill completely. I have taken my car to several different gas stations and still have noted the problem. My service station ran diagnostic tests on the car and have no idea on what could be causing this unusual problem. Have you ever heard of anything similar before, or do you have any ideas on what could be causing this? I have not been in any accidents, have a locking gas tank, and have noticed no other symptoms.
There could be a restriction in the vent line from the tank to the filler neck. I had a similar problem on a Taurus that will only take 12 gallons and no more. To this day, I have not figured it out, but in your case, since you went to several different stations, then it is safe to assume that the pumps are not broken (which is common) and that the problem must be on the car. Have the vent line checked.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?