Is My Catalytic Converter Shot?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '94 Saturn SC2 five speed with a few problems. If I am shifting a lot (maybe small streets or heavy traffic) my temperature gauge will slowly go up and up, and it rarely gets to the red. If it gets to the red then I shut the car off, but that does not happen much at all. If I then get up to fifth gear for a while, the car cools back down. Originally, I took it to Firestone and all that they did was replace the Oxygen sensor, which did not help. What's going on?
The Saturn seems to run a little sluggish now. After a trip to the store and back, we can occasionally notice a faint "rotten eggs" smell. This made us think that it was the catalytic converter. However, the car is NOT loud like it would be if the catalytic converter went out. The air filter is fairly new as well.
Also, a few months ago, I had Jiffy Lube flush the radiator and do the transmission service after an oil change. What should/can I do?
Well, the smell of rotten eggs is sulfur buildup on the catalytic converter. When a converter dies, it doesn't have to get loud, it could get plugged up. This may be what's making your car run hot and slow. Depending on the extent of the plugging, you may be able to clear it by going on a long trip and running it hard. Sulfur will burn off, but you need to get it hot. Highway speeds for an hour or more should be sufficient to clear small or slight plugging. But, if you are already experiencing lack of power due to this, then it probably too late. Where did all this sulfur come from? Cheap Gas!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Repurposing an old dresser
- How to soften your carpet
- How to buy a lawnmower for less
- How to keep your patio clean
- A DIY update of your bathroom vanity
- How to decide whether to rent or buy a home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?