Mildewed Bathroom Caulking
Caulking Around Toilets
Updating a Bathroom
First Aid for the Bathroom
Where can I purchase polyurethane caulk? It is to be used in a shower stall. I have been using silicone but I have been experiencing mold problems. I understand that this does not occur when polyurethane is used.
PW from Schaumburg, IL
Polyurethane caulk is available in many home and hardware stores. However, I don't believe that there is a polyurethane caulk available specifically for bathroom use... yet. In my experience, even manufacturers who produce polyurethane do not recommend using it in bath enclosures. Part of the reason may be that polyurethane is not as mildew resistant as the best "mildew-proof" acrylic latex caulks, manufactured by companies such as MD (Macklanburg-Duncan) and Polyseamseal.
It is a given that polyurethane is superior in both adhesive ability and flexibility (or "stretchiness") than either latex or silicone caulks. This is great in some applications, especially exterior joints where there is significant seasonal expansion and contraction. It is not generally necessary in bath enclosures. The stress on the joints in bath applications is just not that great, so the additional adhesive strength is essentially overkill! Since ALL bathroom caulks eventually become mildewed or simply loosen, the extra adhesive strength may even work against you come repair time!
As far as mildew resistance goes, I would choose acrylic latex caulk over silicone caulk any day, especially the "mildew proof" varieties mentioned earlier. This is from personal experience with miles of mildewed caulk!
COPYRIGHT 1999 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?