Mildewed Bathroom Caulking
Caulking Around Toilets
Updating a Bathroom
First Aid for the Bathroom
Where can I purchase polyurethane caulk? It is to be used in a shower stall. I have been using silicone but I have been experiencing mold problems. I understand that this does not occur when polyurethane is used.
PW from Schaumburg, IL
Polyurethane caulk is available in many home and hardware stores. However, I don't believe that there is a polyurethane caulk available specifically for bathroom use... yet. In my experience, even manufacturers who produce polyurethane do not recommend using it in bath enclosures. Part of the reason may be that polyurethane is not as mildew resistant as the best "mildew-proof" acrylic latex caulks, manufactured by companies such as MD (Macklanburg-Duncan) and Polyseamseal.
It is a given that polyurethane is superior in both adhesive ability and flexibility (or "stretchiness") than either latex or silicone caulks. This is great in some applications, especially exterior joints where there is significant seasonal expansion and contraction. It is not generally necessary in bath enclosures. The stress on the joints in bath applications is just not that great, so the additional adhesive strength is essentially overkill! Since ALL bathroom caulks eventually become mildewed or simply loosen, the extra adhesive strength may even work against you come repair time!
Calculator: Should you borrow from your home equity?
As far as mildew resistance goes, I would choose acrylic latex caulk over silicone caulk any day, especially the "mildew proof" varieties mentioned earlier. This is from personal experience with miles of mildewed caulk!
COPYRIGHT 1999 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Take the Next Step
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?