Replacing a Fan Belt
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Ford Aerostar that needs to have the fan and accessory belts replaced. I've got the new belts and the tools. However, I don't have the specific knowledge of how to do it. I've changed belts on other cars with no problems. On this car I can't determine how to loosen the main belt. Can you help me?
Steve F. in Somerville, New Jersey
On Fords it is quite easy. Simply take a long wrench or socket, I think it is 3/4", and rotate the large nut in the middle of the tensioner pulley counter clockwise. This will relieve tension on the spring and allow the tensioner to raise. That will allow you to remove the belt. Also, there should be a little picture somewhere under the hood showing all this. You will need that in order to replace the belt. I can never remember: over this pulley or under that one. If your car does not have it, then it can be found in almost every repair manual for that car. If you don't have that, then go to the library and make a copy!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?