Replacing a Fan Belt
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Ford Aerostar that needs to have the fan and accessory belts replaced. I've got the new belts and the tools. However, I don't have the specific knowledge of how to do it. I've changed belts on other cars with no problems. On this car I can't determine how to loosen the main belt. Can you help me?
Steve F. in Somerville, New Jersey
On Fords it is quite easy. Simply take a long wrench or socket, I think it is 3/4", and rotate the large nut in the middle of the tensioner pulley counter clockwise. This will relieve tension on the spring and allow the tensioner to raise. That will allow you to remove the belt. Also, there should be a little picture somewhere under the hood showing all this. You will need that in order to replace the belt. I can never remember: over this pulley or under that one. If your car does not have it, then it can be found in almost every repair manual for that car. If you don't have that, then go to the library and make a copy!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?