Painting Over Contact Paper
Can I paint over contact paper? I really don't want to try to strip it unless I absolutely have to.
Painting over any glued-on coating, whether it is contact paper or wallpaper, is not my first preference. But I "feel your pain" and know that once you start trying to strip it, you are committed to what may be a humongous project!
Contact paper can be painted over but an appropriate primer must be used. Ordinary oil or latex paints will not stick very well, so a quality primer-sealer is essential for a long-lasting job and an eminently paintable surface! One consideration in your choice of primer is its chemical makeup… you have to be careful not to use a paint that will chemically react with the plastic or seep into the seams and dissolve the glue! We do not want to make more work for ourselves!
My suggestion is to first use a water-based stain killing primer, available at any hardware or paint store. These chemical wonders are designed to stick to virtually any clean surface, giving you that "eminently paintable surface"! Glass, glossy paints and even plastic laminate countertops and cabinets are all within its scope!
Be sure to clean the contact paper before painting especially if you think there might be any oil or grease on it. Don't spare the elbow grease… even these special primers will fail if painted over dust, dirt or oils. Use any cleaner you want that is safe for contact paper... just thoroughly rinse and dry the contact paper before priming.
A last note… don't under any circumstances use sandpaper to roughen the surface. The abrasions you cause might make the surface visibly rough. You could even tear the contact paper!
COPYRIGHT 1999 G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?