Inspection Station Fails Her Steering
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
The mechanic, who rejected my safey inspection for my car said, "I needed my power steering fixed." He ball parked it at $1500-2000 to get fixed. The car seems to be working fine. It is an '89 Dodge Shadow and not worth putting a lot of money into fixing it. Is it his opinion or is it a fact? How can I contest it? Thank you.
Was this a state inspection place or just a local gas station? $2000 seems really high and state guys usually don't quote prices. Now, it is possible that the steering rack could be worn. It happens. Also, the ball joint and/or tie rods may need attention. I would get a second opinion and tell the first guy to take a hike! But, your steering is very important! If any of the components were to fail while driving, a serious accident may occur!! So get it checked by someone else!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.