Inspection Station Fails Her Steering
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
The mechanic, who rejected my safey inspection for my car said, "I needed my power steering fixed." He ball parked it at $1500-2000 to get fixed. The car seems to be working fine. It is an '89 Dodge Shadow and not worth putting a lot of money into fixing it. Is it his opinion or is it a fact? How can I contest it? Thank you.
Was this a state inspection place or just a local gas station? $2000 seems really high and state guys usually don't quote prices. Now, it is possible that the steering rack could be worn. It happens. Also, the ball joint and/or tie rods may need attention. I would get a second opinion and tell the first guy to take a hike! But, your steering is very important! If any of the components were to fail while driving, a serious accident may occur!! So get it checked by someone else!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Will my insurance spike if I rent out my basement?
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- 5 tips to sell a home before buying another
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?