Inspection Station Fails Her Steering
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
The mechanic, who rejected my safey inspection for my car said, "I needed my power steering fixed." He ball parked it at $1500-2000 to get fixed. The car seems to be working fine. It is an '89 Dodge Shadow and not worth putting a lot of money into fixing it. Is it his opinion or is it a fact? How can I contest it? Thank you.
Was this a state inspection place or just a local gas station? $2000 seems really high and state guys usually don't quote prices. Now, it is possible that the steering rack could be worn. It happens. Also, the ball joint and/or tie rods may need attention. I would get a second opinion and tell the first guy to take a hike! But, your steering is very important! If any of the components were to fail while driving, a serious accident may occur!! So get it checked by someone else!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?