Inspection Station Fails Her Steering
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
The mechanic, who rejected my safey inspection for my car said, "I needed my power steering fixed." He ball parked it at $1500-2000 to get fixed. The car seems to be working fine. It is an '89 Dodge Shadow and not worth putting a lot of money into fixing it. Is it his opinion or is it a fact? How can I contest it? Thank you.
Was this a state inspection place or just a local gas station? $2000 seems really high and state guys usually don't quote prices. Now, it is possible that the steering rack could be worn. It happens. Also, the ball joint and/or tie rods may need attention. I would get a second opinion and tell the first guy to take a hike! But, your steering is very important! If any of the components were to fail while driving, a serious accident may occur!! So get it checked by someone else!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?