The Key to a Successful Future
by Doris Dobkins
KEY? What do you think of when you hear the word "Key?" Do your ears perk up? Do you think you are about to learn something significant? Well, I thought I would look up the word in the dictionary and give you a really profound definition.
Here is what I found:
key[ki:] 1. Schlussel 2. Losung .3. Springender 4. Punkt
Well, I couldn't find an English dictionary so that's what my English/German dictionary said. So much for that idea!
Moving right along, something that is "key" is an indicator, insight, manifestation, or guide. It is something very important that we should pay attention to.
Well, I am going to tell you here what the most successful and financially independent people have in common. It is a KEY piece of information to your financial success.
The most successful and financially independent people are goal-oriented. They clearly define their goals. This allows them to visualize the future and focus on a plan for prosperity.
Do you like to plan for the future? How about even planning for just the month, week or day?
A big key to being successful in managing your money and building wealth are to define what you are after. In other words, be clear about what you want. Once you have a goal, then you can easily outline strategies for achieving it.
Wealth is not defined by your income - but rather by your outcome. Real wealth is not how much money you make but how much is left over. Most financial traps are a result due to a lack of direction, lack of knowledge, and/or a lack of financial control.
Step I: Identify where you are now. Write out your current situation, your income, expenses, assets, talents, debts, etc. Then determine that you will take control of your finances. If you are thinking of excuses why you can't take control of your finances now, then write all your excuses on a piece of paper. Get them all down there in black and white. Good, very good! Now torch the paper! If you focus on excuses, you will not produce results.
Step II: Define your goals in life. List them all. Make categories such as personal dreams, financial goals, talent goals, time goals. The ideas may come slowly at first but keep at it. Soon your pen should just be flowing with ideas.
Include long term and short term goals. If you had unlimited time and money, what would you do with your life? What would you like to be or become. Do not put any limits on anything and do not focus on any negatives. Remember, we already burned that list of excuses a little while ago.
This list will allow you to look ahead and see future possibilities and opportunities instead of problems and roadblocks. It will also keep your dreams alive and help you stay focused on your goals. Half of your power to accomplish something is to define what you are after.
Calculator: What's My Net Worth?
So, put your financial goals in writing. Make them tangible. It is a KEY to obtaining your SUCCESSFUL FUTURE!
"I expect to spend the rest of my life in the future, so I want to be reasonably sure what kind of future it is going to be. That is my reason for planning."
- Charles Kettering, Industrialist, 1950
Doris Dobkins is a money saving expert, author and speaker and has helped thousands of people find ways to save money and get out of debt.
Take the Next Step
- Are you getting the best CD rate? Use our simple CD tool to find out. It's completely private, easy to use and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Get the interest your deserve! Compare money market rates with our best rate finder. It only takes a minute and your privacy is completely protected.
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.
Trending on TDS
- 5 features to look for in a balance transfer card
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- A widow's guide to managing money on your own
- Bank loyalty rewards you might be missing out on
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Do you pay more because of variable pricing?
- Are you stealing your own money?
- Spending to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- How to stop abusive debt collection practices
- Credit card debt after the death of a spouse
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates