Ask Miserly Moms: Cleaning Tips
by Jonni McCoy
Spring Cleaning for Today's Mom
Organizing the Disorganized Mom
My Story: Easy Clean
Q: I would like a good shower wall cleaner. My shower gets mineral build up.
A: There are a few tips you can try. First, spray vinegar on the build up and let it sit a few minutes. It will help dissolve the minerals. Then create a paste with baking soda and salt (equal parts) and rub it over the effected areas with a damp sponge. Rinse well.
To avoid future build up, use a squeegee after each showering.
Q: How do I get ball point ink out of a pair of cotton/polyester knit pants?
A: The best way I have found is to spray the spot with hairspray that contains alcohol. The alcohol in the hairspray dissolves the ink. Plain rubbing alcohol will also work, as long as it is isopropyl alcohol.
Q: What is the best homemade window cleaner?
A: The best solution that I have found is half water, half vinegar. The commercial cleanser manufacturers are bottling this! Spray in on the window and wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel. If it streaks the first time that you use it, then you have a build up of cleansers. Keep cleaning and it will disappear. Never clean a window in direct sunlight; the heat dries the solution too quickly and leaves streaks.
Q: How do I get wax out of a Berber carpet? I love candles and got a little carried away.
A: When I get wax in a carpet, I first pick away whatever pieces I can. Then I cover the rest with a thin cotton towel, a sheet of tin foil, then another thin towel. I then heat up the iron to it's highest heat, and place it on the top of these towels. The heat will melt the wax, and the pressure of the iron will draw it into the towel. Keep doing this until it is removed.
Jonni McCoy is the author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!" Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com
The advice given in this column is based upon personal information and experience. For further information on the disclaimer, please visit this address: miserlymoms.com/MOMdisclaimer.htmShare your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?