Backyard Nature Notes: Bed Down the Garden Before Winter Winds Strike!
by Carolyn Allen
Mother Nature has definitely been wreaking unpredictable weather patterns from severe nationwide drought to multiple hurricane systems up and down the East Coast.
Before the season turns undeniably frosty and thoughts turn to indoor diversions, now is the time to prepare your lawn and garden for the rigors of old man winter.
Here's a Fall Clean-Up Blueprint to help accomplish this task:
- Plant bulbs for spring color
- Apply top layer of compost to flower beds
- Cut down all remaining perennial debris
- Spray Wilt Proof on new hollies to protect against winter burn
- Final cultivating of compost or mulch on top of flower beds
- Last cut of grass areas -- cut lower than normal
- Burlap or cover delicate plant material
- Mulch roses
- Stake driveway for snowplow -- marking anything to watch for
- Bring clay pots inside
- Bring in watering hoses and make sure water is turned off inside
- Have a supply of saltmelt, sand, or kitty litter by steps that might freeze over
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?