Simple Room Make-Overs
by Annette Rogers
An inexpensive way to change the look of a room is to add or change throw pillows and decorative throws. Decorative throws come in various sizes, patterns, and fabrics. Knitted afghans to store-bought quilts can be used. These throws can be draped over the backs of sofas, chairs, or on beds. Combine the addition of throws to your room with decorative pillows to add a fresh warm look to your room with decorative pillows to add a fresh warm look. You can make your own throw pillows out of cloth tea towels. I have purchased bundles of tea towels for under $4.00 at a local craft stores. Another cost saving trick is to use a decorative fabric for one side and back the pillow with a cheaper fabric on the reverse side. Try buying inexpensive solid color pillows and embellishing them yourself by adding buttons, ties, or even wrap the pillow in a silk or decorative fabric. Linen or silk napkins can be used as well, some of these napkins are the perfect size with finished edges and all you need to do is sew together two pieces by placing the right sides of the fabric together and seam, turn right side out, and fill with a bag of poly-fill from a fabric or craft store. Any combination of sizes and shapes can be grouped together. Mix match textures and patterns for an interesting accent. Remember to keep a common factor between the pillows such as a similar or complimentary color reflected in the group of pillows. Create quick holiday decor with throws or pillows reflecting Independence Day, Halloween, or Christmas. Try changing your pillows and throws with the seasons. It's a great way to get a fresh new look all year long.
Annette Rogers CID, Editor of a printed newsletter AMI DESIGN NEWS Filled with creative money saving tips and ideas for the frugal do-it-yourselfer to create a beautiful home.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?