Noisy Honda Steering
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an '89 Honda Accord. When the vehicle is stationary, it was very hard to turn the steering wheel. I took it into a garage and the mechanic identified a leak in the hose. He replaced it and told me everything was fine. When I drove off, I noted that the the car would make a grinding, vibrating noise every time I turned the wheel hard-left or hard-right. I immediately took it back to him and he tried explaining me that air probably got in the line. He assured me that after a few days of driving, the noise should go away. Some things flaky about that answer and I've requested that he check further. I'm bringing it back to him tomorrow morning. My question is if air in the lines in fact causing the noise and vibration, can this be bled like in bleeding brakelines? As can be seen, my knowledge is limited. Please enlighten me on this subject.
Mel O. of Taegu, Korea
It is quite possible that it is just air in the system. The way to cure it, would be to top off with fresh power steering fluid, and turn the wheel from lock to lock several times. I would say, 4 or 5 times would be sufficient.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?