Noisy Honda Steering
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an '89 Honda Accord. When the vehicle is stationary, it was very hard to turn the steering wheel. I took it into a garage and the mechanic identified a leak in the hose. He replaced it and told me everything was fine. When I drove off, I noted that the the car would make a grinding, vibrating noise every time I turned the wheel hard-left or hard-right. I immediately took it back to him and he tried explaining me that air probably got in the line. He assured me that after a few days of driving, the noise should go away. Some things flaky about that answer and I've requested that he check further. I'm bringing it back to him tomorrow morning. My question is if air in the lines in fact causing the noise and vibration, can this be bled like in bleeding brakelines? As can be seen, my knowledge is limited. Please enlighten me on this subject.
Mel O. of Taegu, Korea
It is quite possible that it is just air in the system. The way to cure it, would be to top off with fresh power steering fluid, and turn the wheel from lock to lock several times. I would say, 4 or 5 times would be sufficient.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?