Inexpensive Stocking Stuffers
by Angie Zalewski
Courtesy of Frugal Family Network
You may have heard TV commercials touting everything from expensive collectibles to high priced electronic toys for "stocking stuffers". As parents, we stand firm that stockings should be filled with fun trinkets and small blessings rather than $100+ worth of merchandise.
Here's what we do for our kids' stockings. Throughout the year we accumulate fun little toys and small gifts. We hide them in a sack in our closet. Last night my (Angie) husband Tom and I got out the Stocking Stuffer sack and perused the vast selection we had accumulated. Here are some of the items:
- wild pens and neat gadget toys my husband got as freebies from a computer convention
- new toothbrush and toothpaste the dentist gave us at our last visit
- specialty candy I got on clearance
- little bottles of hotel soaps, shampoos, and lotion
- homemade Gak and playdough (I added coconut scent, blue food coloring and glitter!)
- travel size battle ship game bought at a garage sale for 50¢
- and I'll also add a giant cookie Tom baked several weeks ago and have hidden in the freezer
The boys stockings will be spilling over with fun things they will enjoy! And it costs us next to nothing.
So keep a sound perspective on stocking stuffing this year. Look for creative ways to fill your children's stockings.
Deana Ricks and Angie Zalewski are co-founders of the Frugal Family Network. The present a variety workshops on creative ways to stretch the family dollar (also available on cassette) and publish a popular thrift newsletter.
Take the Next Step
- Check out our Christmas Countdown Calendar. A 5-week to-do list to help you prepare for Christmas.
- Check out some additional articles to help prepare for Christmas this year.
- For inexpensive Christmas gift ideas, click here
- Take these Holiday Decorating Ideas & make them your own!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Legitimate work-at-home job opportunities in the education arena
- Natural congestion remedies
- Why reuseable snack bags make sense Giveaway
- Family Halloween costumes
- A teen clothing allowance
- Halloween on a dime
- Beating the high cost of bedwetting
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- October deals at the supermarket and beyond
- Why women are dropping out of the workforce
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator