by Doris Dobkins
Staying on the Road to Financial Independence
Be Radical, Get Rich
Before You Buy, Think Different
I'm here to tell you that there are no easy formulas for success, wealth or the good life. When you look at it, it all comes down to choices you make. How much money you earn, where you earn it and how you spend it.
We have become so accustomed to allowing society to make choices for us that we become deceived into believing that we no longer have any choices left to make. This is so far from the truth. The discovery that we do have choices can be the dawning of a new day. We all have choices. Do we all realize the choices that we do have and the extent of our choices? Or do we make our decisions because that's what the Joneses are doing or that's the way my family did it or that's what the popular people are doing.
That extra car you own (even though it is paid off may be costing you an extra $4,000 a year with gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance. A pattern of buying everything new might be costing you a few hundred dollars extra a month that you really don't need to spend. What are your patterns of spending and how can choices you have made in the past be adjusted to assist you in meeting your future goals?
The important thing here is to really take a hard look at the choices you have made, and don't rule out the mundane nickel and quarter ones. Add up the costs of your choices and be ready for an eye opening experience. Take time to analyze and reassess them. Do you have an expensive hobby? How about turning it into an investment or business so it will bring you a profit?
Penny pinching and frugal living can become a habit for you. It all boils down to choices, the choices you make on what and where to spend your money.
Doris Dobkins is a money saving expert, author and speaker and has helped thousands of people find ways to save money and get out of debt.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator