Ask Bob: VW Losing Power
by Bob DeP.
I have 1985 VW Jetta Car, which has about 120,000 miles on the 1.8 liter engine. The problem I just notice is that I am seeing a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe and I am also noticing a decrease in power when I accelerate. A couple of months ago I changed plugs and wires and rotor cap. What's wrong? Would a compression check tell me more? If yes to the last question , what thing am I looking for and what does it mean. Any advice would be most appreciated.
When doing a compression check, you want all of the cylinders to be within 10 percent of each other. If you have a low one, then it could be bad valves or rings. You would need to do a leak down test to further diagnose it. But, I think that the problem may lie with the computer. Did the check engine light come on? Has the oxygen sensor ever been replaced? The car may be stuck in a rich mode allowing more gas to be consumed than necessary.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: AskBob@stretcher.com. He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?