Ask Bob: Is It Really a Do-It-Yourself Auto Repair Project?
by Bob DeP.
I have a 1988 Mazda 323 with 120k. I have oil leaking from the gasket around the valve cover just above the sparkplugs. I want to take off the valve cover and replace the gasket. The cover is easy to get to on top of the engine and has 6 screws holding it on. Is this a Do-it-youself kind of job? I know that if I get any dirt in the engine I'll be shopping for a new engine, but it seems that it would be easy to just pull off the cover replace the seal and screw the cover back on. I would hate to pay some guy $60 an hour to do this.
I tell all my readers the same thing. Review the service manual thoroughly. Look at the components in question. If it looks like something that you can handle, then go for it, but remember to buy all parts before hand. And don't wait till night or a Sunday to do the job. Buy all the parts during the week, and then start bright and early on a Saturday. This way, you have plenty of time and if you need to get additional parts, the stores are still open. Now, changing a valve cover gasket is fairly easy, but like you mentioned, watch out for dirt entering the engine while it is apart.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?