Ask Bob: Extending Muffler Life
by Bob DeP.
I just recently replaced the muffler on my 1988 Mercury Topaz. I live in the Northeast. I bought the cheaper version of the muffler. Is it safe to paint my new muffler with heat-resistant, rust-proof paint, to possibly extend its life and protect it from rusting out due to the elements?
Painting the outside of the muffler will do nothing but make it look pretty. Mufflers rust from the inside out, not outside in. One of the components in exhaust, when mixed with water, becomes acid. It is this acid that destroys mufflers.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?