Ask Bob: Extending Muffler Life
by Bob DeP.
I just recently replaced the muffler on my 1988 Mercury Topaz. I live in the Northeast. I bought the cheaper version of the muffler. Is it safe to paint my new muffler with heat-resistant, rust-proof paint, to possibly extend its life and protect it from rusting out due to the elements?
Painting the outside of the muffler will do nothing but make it look pretty. Mufflers rust from the inside out, not outside in. One of the components in exhaust, when mixed with water, becomes acid. It is this acid that destroys mufflers.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?