Ask Bob: Lincoln Defroster Problems
by Bob DeP.
I have purchased (from the original owner) a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. I noticed the defroster didn't seem to be working as it should. More air is blown out through the dash vents than through the "windshield vents". My mechanic, after consulting with three other mechanics and a Lincoln manual replaced a "heater control". The problem seemed solved, but it's doing the same thing - blowing more air out the dash (but not floor) vents and little out the "windshield vents". He determined the fan switch was OK - it seems to work in low-high positions. What am I/we missing? It's no fun to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield as well as the outside! Thanks for your help.
I had a similar problem on a Taurus. On these cars, the location selector is controlled by vacuum. I would check to make sure that all the vacuum lines are not leaking and the diaphragm is okay.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.