Ask Bob: Lincoln Defroster Problems
by Bob DeP.
I have purchased (from the original owner) a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. I noticed the defroster didn't seem to be working as it should. More air is blown out through the dash vents than through the "windshield vents". My mechanic, after consulting with three other mechanics and a Lincoln manual replaced a "heater control". The problem seemed solved, but it's doing the same thing - blowing more air out the dash (but not floor) vents and little out the "windshield vents". He determined the fan switch was OK - it seems to work in low-high positions. What am I/we missing? It's no fun to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield as well as the outside! Thanks for your help.
I had a similar problem on a Taurus. On these cars, the location selector is controlled by vacuum. I would check to make sure that all the vacuum lines are not leaking and the diaphragm is okay.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?