Ask Bob: Lincoln Defroster Problems
by Bob DeP.
I have purchased (from the original owner) a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. I noticed the defroster didn't seem to be working as it should. More air is blown out through the dash vents than through the "windshield vents". My mechanic, after consulting with three other mechanics and a Lincoln manual replaced a "heater control". The problem seemed solved, but it's doing the same thing - blowing more air out the dash (but not floor) vents and little out the "windshield vents". He determined the fan switch was OK - it seems to work in low-high positions. What am I/we missing? It's no fun to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield as well as the outside! Thanks for your help.
I had a similar problem on a Taurus. On these cars, the location selector is controlled by vacuum. I would check to make sure that all the vacuum lines are not leaking and the diaphragm is okay.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?