Ask Bob: Increasing Gas Mileage
by Bob DeP.
I have a Ford F150 1996 with a 351. I get 15 mpg on the highway. How can I improve this?
I have a 96 Bronco with the 5.8 litre engine. 15 is about what they get. Actually, you said 15 highway. I get like 14 city 17-18 highway. Depends mostly on your driving habits, but that is close to what they get. But here are a couple of guidelines to follow.
- Make sure that the tires are the correct size and inflated to the proper pressure. Sources indicate that a 1 psi difference could result in a 2 mpg loss.
- Do not carry any extra payload on a regular basis. 300-500 pounds extra can decrease fuel economy by 2-3 mpg.
- Are you using the correct fuel for the truck? Are you using a name brand fuel?
- Is the vehicle properly maintained?
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?