The Frugal Decorator: Hang-a-Plant
Make a plant holder from a utility bracket: You know, those grey or white L-shaped brackets, they have three screw holds in each 'arm'. Mount one on the wall where you want the plant to hang. If you want to paint the bracket to match your decor, mount it so the part sticking out from the wall is on top.
If you want the bracket to be hidden from view by the pot, mount it so the L is on the bottom. Drill a hole through a plastic drip tray or plastic plate. You'll have to put the tray on the bracket and mark where the holes are in the bracket, then drill. Then put your potted plant in the tray. Remember to use plastic anchors in the wall if you don't drill into a stud.
Leah Wynne works part-time at a home-decorating store and practices frugal living on a daily basis.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?