See One, Do One, Teach One
by Jan Broad
The "see one, do one, teach one" program is our way of extending education, encouraging self reliance by teaching skills, and acknowledging our interdependence in the process.
The first time I heard "see one, do one, teach one" was as an operating room nurse in Michigan...the surgical residents used it in reference to surgical procedures they had not yet learned... some tongue in cheek humor, if you will. My wife being a physician (anesthesiologist) was exposed to the expression throughout her medical training and we kind of adopted the term and adapted it to our use...
One of our church members (person #1) had their water heater spring a leak...their phone call to me activated the "see one, do one, teach one" program...
The idea is somewhat simple: I will come over and do the replacement with #1's help while they watch and assist as able; the next time a member or friend of a member (#2) needs a water heater replaced, #1 is contacted to do as much of the job as possible under my direction... When another job comes up #1 should be able to teach #2 a few things and I will try to be there as a consult as necessary...eventually we end up with a group of individuals who have some skill level at a particular project, and can be called upon to serve others for future projects....
SEE ONE, DO ONE, TEACH ONE!
The theory is applicable to any number of skills about our homes, motor vehicles, and selves.
Repetition does wonders for any living creature!!!
Jan admits to being accused of being a 'ghost writer' for the Tightwad Gazette!
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?