Ask Bob: Smoking Heater
by Bob DeP.
My husband owns a 1987 Ford Ranger and for the past couple of weeks when the heat is on smoke comes out. The smell is an oily smell and the windows get coated with a greasy film; we can't even see out them. Any ideas?
You have a cracked heater core and that oily film is antifreeze!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 8 things to do before you shop for a rent-to-own home
- Turning your home into a bed & breakfast inn
- Affordable safety improvements for your home
- How to repair throw rugs
- Combating dry winter indoor air
- Refurbishing wood cabinets
- Safeguarding your home during winter absences
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?