My Wedding Dress
by Lindsay Marlow
I am getting married in October of this year, and I got a really good bargain when I was shopping for my wedding dress.
I went dress shopping with my mom and my best friend, and I found my dream dress. I knew that it was the "one", and had to get it. The problem was that the dress alone was $595. Hmmm, by the time you include alterations, bustling, and sales tax, you are talking about 700-800 dollars here. I definitely did not want to pay that. so I sat down with the phone book, and started calling bridal stores. I did the old-fashioned hassling over price thing. I said, " I can get this dress for this price at this store, can you meet competitor's prices?" I finally ended up at the store that I wanted to get the dress from, and they offered it to me for $540.
I then decided to wait, and see if there were any good sales going on when the bridal fair was in town. I am glad I did, because my store offered 10% off every dress, and they will only charge $35 for ALL alterations, bustling, and a garter thrown in.
The bargain? I got the dress for $580, including alterations, bustling, and sales tax from a store that I liked and trusted. (dress-$513, alterations and bustling-$35, sales tax-$38 and odd change) I am one happy bride-to-be!
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator