Ask Bob: Electrical Ghosts
by Bob DeP.
I have a 1997 T-100 that has been regularly tuned up and fully serviced. It has 53,000 miles on it. After driving around for 45 minutes in 96° heat I stopped somewhere for half an hour and the battery was dead when I returned. The battery voltmeter read only about 7V and the electrical would barely work. I had the battery recharged for 90 minutes and I still had the same problem. I push-started the truck and noticed that my oil level would rise as I would speed up, and as I slowed down the oil level gauge would go down also. When I turn on my headlights the radio would blink off at the same time the headlights were turned on. This is my second battery, and it's only 11 months old. I hope that you can help.
I would say that you have a bad alternator. Your gauges fluctuate with speed because the alternator is putting out more voltage as you rev up the engine. Now, it may be as simple as a bad voltage regulator, but I think on that car the regulator is inside the alternator.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?