Ask Bob: Warm Honda Bucks and Shimmies
by Bob DeP.
I have a 1982 Honda Accord that has 160,000 miles on it. It is a great little car except for one problem no one seems to know how to fix. During the summer months when it is hot and dry, the Honda acts up. It will drive great until I turn the car off and go into a store for a few minutes. When I come out and turn the car back on, it stutters and misses. When I try and drive it feels like the gas is turning on and off making it buck and shimmy. It will act like this for a few minutes and then it's fine again.
My first mechanic told me the floats were sinking so I replaced the floats on the carburator. I've changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, and almost everything in the last couple of years, but it still has this problem. I know it feels like vapor lock but have been told that shouldn't be happening. Any ideas?
Tatia W. of Tucson, AZ
When this happens, you may want to try and opening the gas cap. You will probably hear a swoosh and some gas vapors rush out. If the car runs fine after that, then either the return line, vent line, canister line or gas cap are in need of repair. I would suspect the gas cap. It's the easiest for you to change.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?