Ask Bob: Voyager Mystery Wipers
by Bob DeP.
I have a '92 Plymouth Voyager. About a week ago we started experiencing the following problem. For an unknown reason the wipers begin to function intermittently. We make sure that they are off and it still occurs. Our wiper switch is on the dash and has an OFF position, an intermittent range, a low position and a high position. I removed the fuse for the wiper and then the wipers do not work (of course), however, we still hear the 'clicking' of the intermittent switch even though the fuse is out and there is no power going to the wipers. Is it worth my time and effort to find the intermittent switch and replace it or should I just take it to the shop. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for any help. Financially, we really don't need this right now, so I would like to troubleshoot it myself as much as possible.
What you hear clicking is the relay. The intermittent switch is telling the relay to close and give power to the wipers. The fuse that you pulled would be for the wipers, not the switch or the relay. It seems to me that off really isn't off and is stuck in low intermittent. I would attempt to fix this myself. What harm could it do, but you must remember to keep it functional, in case it rains!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?