Ask Bob: Voyager Mystery Wipers
by Bob DeP.
I have a '92 Plymouth Voyager. About a week ago we started experiencing the following problem. For an unknown reason the wipers begin to function intermittently. We make sure that they are off and it still occurs. Our wiper switch is on the dash and has an OFF position, an intermittent range, a low position and a high position. I removed the fuse for the wiper and then the wipers do not work (of course), however, we still hear the 'clicking' of the intermittent switch even though the fuse is out and there is no power going to the wipers. Is it worth my time and effort to find the intermittent switch and replace it or should I just take it to the shop. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for any help. Financially, we really don't need this right now, so I would like to troubleshoot it myself as much as possible.
What you hear clicking is the relay. The intermittent switch is telling the relay to close and give power to the wipers. The fuse that you pulled would be for the wipers, not the switch or the relay. It seems to me that off really isn't off and is stuck in low intermittent. I would attempt to fix this myself. What harm could it do, but you must remember to keep it functional, in case it rains!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?