Ask Bob: Timing Belts
by Bob DeP.
My son was driving his '91 Ford Escort pony 1.9 L engine. When it died on him. He could not get it started after that. The engine turns but will not start. A friend said, that the time belt needs to be replace. He looked at the time belt while I cranked the car. Is this possible?
Is it possible that the timing belt broke? YES
Is it possible that he was able to look at the timing belt while you cranked? YES
Is it possible to repair the belt? NO
Is it possible to repair the car? YES
Is it possible for your son to repair the car? YES, If he has time and knows what to do.
I would recommend purchasing the repair manual for that car, and reviewing the procedure before making a decision. It is basically a simple procedure, with one exception. It is extremely critical that all indicating marks are pointing to the correct location prior to installing the belt! In addition, the manual will also enforce this, the number ONE cylinder must be at Top Dead Center on compression stroke.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?