Ask Bob: Timing Belts
by Bob DeP.
My son was driving his '91 Ford Escort pony 1.9 L engine. When it died on him. He could not get it started after that. The engine turns but will not start. A friend said, that the time belt needs to be replace. He looked at the time belt while I cranked the car. Is this possible?
Is it possible that the timing belt broke? YES
Is it possible that he was able to look at the timing belt while you cranked? YES
Is it possible to repair the belt? NO
Is it possible to repair the car? YES
Is it possible for your son to repair the car? YES, If he has time and knows what to do.
I would recommend purchasing the repair manual for that car, and reviewing the procedure before making a decision. It is basically a simple procedure, with one exception. It is extremely critical that all indicating marks are pointing to the correct location prior to installing the belt! In addition, the manual will also enforce this, the number ONE cylinder must be at Top Dead Center on compression stroke.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?