Ask Bob: Timing Belts
by Bob DeP.
My son was driving his '91 Ford Escort pony 1.9 L engine. When it died on him. He could not get it started after that. The engine turns but will not start. A friend said, that the time belt needs to be replace. He looked at the time belt while I cranked the car. Is this possible?
Is it possible that the timing belt broke? YES
Is it possible that he was able to look at the timing belt while you cranked? YES
Is it possible to repair the belt? NO
Is it possible to repair the car? YES
Is it possible for your son to repair the car? YES, If he has time and knows what to do.
I would recommend purchasing the repair manual for that car, and reviewing the procedure before making a decision. It is basically a simple procedure, with one exception. It is extremely critical that all indicating marks are pointing to the correct location prior to installing the belt! In addition, the manual will also enforce this, the number ONE cylinder must be at Top Dead Center on compression stroke.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?