A Storybook Kids' Room
by LeeAnn Young
Here's a tip for all of you out there trying to think of a cute way to decorate your child's room for low $!!!
I was recently trying to think of a nice way to decorate my up and coming daughter's nursery. I really wanted to do something like a Cinderella theme, but all of the accessories I found were so expensive, and to have a mural or wall paper put in the room would cost around $1000.
I decided to go to the local store and find a Cinderella coloring book. I bought one with some nice pictures of her castle, coach, and fairy godmother. I ripped out those pictures and made Xeroxed copies of them onto clear transparency paper. (the type of transparencies you would use for a projector like you used to see in school). I borrowed a projector from work, set it up in the nursery, placed each transparency (one at a time) on the projector, and projected it onto the wall. By projecting the transparencies, I got a full sized, 6 feet tall, coach. And the fairy godmother I set up for 5 feet. (It all depends how close or far you get from the wall). Once it was projected on the wall, I turned the lights off so I could see the picture more clearly, and started tracing the lines of the pictures onto the wall. When I turned the lights back on, I had a perfect coach, fairy godmother, and Cinderella castle!!!
Then, I simply "colored between the lines" with some paints I had chosen from a local craft store. The whole project cost me approximately $25, versus the quoted $1000 for a mural. The coach covers the whole wall, and it really does look like someone came in and professionally painted a mural.
I am planning on doing the same thing in my son's jungle room by projecting some pictures of animals and tracing them onto the wall. All you need to do is find a black and white picture of what you want, Xerox it onto a transparency and project it onto whatever you want to paint!!!
You could even do this on large furniture! By the way, if you can't borrow a projector from work, or a local school, see if you can rent one at the rental places in your area. You will be amazed at what you can do.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?