by Judi Johnson
Come Monday morning, lots of thrifty families are going to want something to do with those hard-boiled eggs. While this recipe sounds complicated, it is easy (my high school students are successful at making these - and the result is good, and fun!) The wonton skins can be purchased in most supermarkets in the Oriental Foods section.
Makes 6 servings
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions with tops
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 24 packaged wonton skins
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Stir together first four ingredients. Place 1 tablespoon of mixture in center of each wonton skin. Moisten edges with beaten egg. Fold over mixture, matching opposite corners. Pinch edges to seal. Place on platter or baking sheet, lightly pressing to flatten bottoms. In large skillet over medium heat, cook 12 of the potstickers in 1 tablespoon of oil until lightly browned on bottoms. Pour 1/3 cup water into pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until wonton skins are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Repeat for remaining potstickers. In small saucepan stir together last four ingredients (including the remaining 1/3 cup water). Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture boils and is smooth and thickened. Serve with potstickers.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- Best September bargains for thrifty shoppers
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Start now and have a stress free Christmas later
- Raising money for your school, church or non-profit group
- Inexpensive storybook costume ideas
- Organizing the disorganized mom
- This week's Readers' Tips