Adventures in Gardening: Spring Gardening
by David Soper
Now is a good time to plant the fast-growing, warm-weather plants, including vegetables, melons and herbs. A lot of daisy-like annuals mature quickly even from seed. Plant Zinnias and Marigolds. They can bloom in as little as six weeks.
If you live in a hot area, be sure to get your mulch down now. Your plants will need the natural moisture-retentive qualities mulch can provide.
Everyone should start focusing on pests. Get the slug patrol ready for duty. Remember, this pests reproduces throughout the year, so any you can kill now won't be laying eggs and plaguing you later.
One effective way (and there are many) is to lay a flat piece of wood on the ground. Block up one side with a rock or wood block. If you do it today, come back tomorrow in the early morning, turn the plank over and harvest a nice crop of sleeping slugs. How you dispose of them is your business, but make it permanent. You may want to do this after you eat, so as not to ruin your appetite.
One woman I know collects as many slugs as she can, puts them in a blender or food processor with a little water and whirls away. She takes the resultant pulverization and pours it around the most slug-challenged plants like hostas. She swears the resultant stuff acts as a strong deterrent. Apparently, the slugs can sense the smell of death and run away! I haven't tried it, my wife guards the blender too vigorously.
A somewhat less extreme method is to share a beer with the little critters. After you've had your beer in the garden, pour them one or two in pie tins. You may want to dig the tins into the ground a bit so the little boozers can have ready access. Sadly, in the morning, you'll find a number of the party guys actually crawled into the beer tins and drowned. Pity! By the way, they prefer cheap beer.
David Soper, The Garden Guy, writes and lectures on gardening topics. Check out his books at Amazon.comTake the Next Step:
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?