Permanent A/C Filters
COPYRIGHT 1999 G.G. ALONZY
I would like to know your opinion of the permanent washable filters that may be purchased for your central a/c heating unit. I have one and my bones tell me it is not as efficient as a 3M or some other throw-away pleated filter.
J from Lubbock, TX
There is a compelling logic to your argument. A washable filter, by nature, would have to be more porous and rigid... otherwise the act of washing it would destroy it. To design a filter to be washable makes it less efficient. Fiberglass, which is the medium of choice for throwaways, has a fibrous network with tremendous dust "grabbing" capabilities. However, washing one turns it into a mushy mass of plastic.
Many air purifiers are two-stage. They use a flexible plastic foam as the initial filtering medium with either a paper or HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) primary filter. The foam grabs the larger particles, extending the life of the more expensive secondary filter which removes the finest airborne particles.
If you look at a fiberglass filter, they are also two-stage. That is why they have a directional arrow on them indicating the air flow direction... they can be installed backwards! The first part of the mesh is coarser and more rigid, allowing only fine dust through. The secondary layer is finer and thicker to do a more thorough cleaning of the air.
There are, of course, air filtering units that use an electrostatic charge to trap dust particles in a metallic filter. These are the most efficient air cleaners. However, they are much more costly yet hardly necessary for most folks... with the exception of very dust-sensitive individuals.
In my opinion, the cost of the throwaway filters is so low that monthly replacement will probably give better results that the purchase of an expensive washable filter. Besides, you don't have to go through the ordeal of trying to wash and dry the filter! As I always preach, time is money!!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?