Repairing Drywall Tape Cracks
Patching a Ceiling
Replacing a Ceiling
Dear Natural Handyman,
In some areas of my ceilings, the tape is separating from the wallboard. Any repair suggestions??
ML from New Haven, CT
If I was a drywall snob, I would tell you to do a complete replacement of the wallboard tape. This involves first tearing the old wallboard tape off the wall, stopping if you reach an area that the tape is firmly attached. Use a utility knife to trim the tape as necessary. Sand the area lightly; then apply more drywall compound to the wall and press a new piece of tape into the seam.
There is an easier way that is especially useful when only one side of the seam is a problem, which is a common occurrence especially in newer homes caused by normal settlement. It actually requires less skill and may also take less total job time. Instead of completely removing the tape, force some drywall compound underneath the loose side of the tape and press it back into place, using a drywall knife to press out excess drywall compound. If you apply just the right amount of paste, it will reglue the tape without causing a lump. Once the patch dries, sand if necessary and then apply a thin coat over the surface to smooth out your work. You will, of course, have to do more surface work to smooth the ceiling with compound.
If your ceiling is a sprayed ("popcorn") ceiling, there are some tips in the painting section of the Natural Handyman website concerning preliminary prep and the final repair.
COPYRIGHT G.G. ALONZY
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.