Just Top It Off
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Is there a big difference between changing the oil and just adding to it? I have a 1985 Jeep CJ and usually just add to it if it gets a little low. I took it to Jiffy Lube 5 months ago, then had my local service station check it out 4 months ago, since then added oil twice.
There is a BIG difference between adding and replacing. As you heat and cool your oil, it loses its lubricating properties and collects dirt and other debris. These particles wear out the motor. The only way to get rid of the dirt is to drain out the oil and remove the old filter. Do this on a regular basis, and your car will last a long time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?