Just Top It Off
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Is there a big difference between changing the oil and just adding to it? I have a 1985 Jeep CJ and usually just add to it if it gets a little low. I took it to Jiffy Lube 5 months ago, then had my local service station check it out 4 months ago, since then added oil twice.
There is a BIG difference between adding and replacing. As you heat and cool your oil, it loses its lubricating properties and collects dirt and other debris. These particles wear out the motor. The only way to get rid of the dirt is to drain out the oil and remove the old filter. Do this on a regular basis, and your car will last a long time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- What tools do you need to start a food garden?
- DIY repair of ripped window and door screens
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?