Just Top It Off
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Is there a big difference between changing the oil and just adding to it? I have a 1985 Jeep CJ and usually just add to it if it gets a little low. I took it to Jiffy Lube 5 months ago, then had my local service station check it out 4 months ago, since then added oil twice.
There is a BIG difference between adding and replacing. As you heat and cool your oil, it loses its lubricating properties and collects dirt and other debris. These particles wear out the motor. The only way to get rid of the dirt is to drain out the oil and remove the old filter. Do this on a regular basis, and your car will last a long time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?