Just Top It Off
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Is there a big difference between changing the oil and just adding to it? I have a 1985 Jeep CJ and usually just add to it if it gets a little low. I took it to Jiffy Lube 5 months ago, then had my local service station check it out 4 months ago, since then added oil twice.
There is a BIG difference between adding and replacing. As you heat and cool your oil, it loses its lubricating properties and collects dirt and other debris. These particles wear out the motor. The only way to get rid of the dirt is to drain out the oil and remove the old filter. Do this on a regular basis, and your car will last a long time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?