courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
There are to trains of thought about transmission maintenance. If your car is running good, leave it alone. The second thought is preventive maintainence. There are many cars on the road with over 100,000 miles on them with no transmission problems running fine and never had the transmission fluid changed. What is your opinion on changing transmission fluid. The drivers I know that never had their fluid changed. Some people say change it at 60,000. And some say at 90 or a 100,000 change filter but put old fluid back in.
Here is one thing that I can say with absolute certainty. If the tranny is in the early stages of troubles, DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID! Sometimes it is the debris in the fluid that is holding the clutches together. The manufactures suggest replacing the fluid by at least 60,000. I also know of many people that have never done this.
And unless you have gotten your hands dirty doing it, you really can't appreciate the effort involved in such an undertaking (at least without making a mess!). If you don't drive your car hard, live in a hilly environment, or tow anything, you may get away without doing it at all, but again it is not advised. Even the dust in the air can cause a problem. I wish they made the filters easier to get to or at least put a drain plug on the pan to make it easier to change the filter.
Oh, for those of you who do not know, the transmission filter is located inside the transmission, as opposed to an oil filter which is a spin on filter with semi-easy accessibility.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?