Grand Am Wants to 'Sleep In'
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Thank you for all your helpful advice in the newsletter. My problem is my '91 GrandAm. The first thing in the morning when I turn the key the engine just turns and turns for a long time before it starts/kicks in. I just replaced the starter and battery not too long ago, so I know thats not the problem. It only does this first thing in the morning. After that throughout the day I have no problem starting it up again. Could it be the distributor wire?
I assume that it eventually starts. When you first get in the car, turn the key, but not all the way, just enough for the dash board to light up and all the other lights to come on. After the dash board initializes, try to start the car. You see, during this 5 seconds or so, the fuel pump is priming up the system. It will run, depending on the car, anywhere from 3-5 seconds then turn off. Then try to start the car. This may help out a bit.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?