Is there a way to get rid of them?
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Safe and Natural Pest Control
Nature's Best Insect Repellent
Natural Insect Repellent
Eliminating Silverfish: Help!
I live in a condo and have had problems with Silverfish for the past four summers. I have spent more than a thousand dollars on exterminators and none of them have been able to get rid of them. I have patched and sealed every visible crack and opening in my home to try to keep them out, but that hasn't worked either. There are no water leaks in my home. All starches, books, linens, etc. have either been sealed up in plastic or removed completely from the home. Does anyone know how to get rid of these disgusting pests? If I can't kill them, I'd at least like to keep them out of my home.
Eliminating Silverfish: Diatomaceous Earth
Silverfish (and any other crawling-bug pests like cockroaches, earwigs, ants, centipedes, etc.) can be safely, efficiently and cost-effectively controlled with diatomaceous earth (available in specialty garden stores). It looks and feels like talcum powder and usually costs less than $10 for a 5 pound bag (a lifetime supply). It is non-toxic to humans and pets since it scratches the outer casing or breathing structure of insects and bugs, causing them to dehydrate. A pest only has to walk through some of it and they are as good as dead! As long as it remains dry, it is effective continuously, forever.
Just apply a thin line of diatomaceous earth along baseboard cracks--or anywhere else pests appear, or dust a specific area. If you know what your particular pest likes to eat, you can also make simple "traps" with a dish of diatomaceous earth and some tasty bait placed where you have the problem. One of the best methods of continuous pest control is to dust the space between your walls or under cabinets.
Eliminating Silverfish: Cloves
Sprinkle WHOLE, not ground, cloves where you have silverfish. Apparently, they do not like the scent and will leave you (and your belongings) alone.
Eliminating Silverfish: Boric Acid
The only thing that I have found to work for most creepy crawlies-- roaches, silverfish, ants, etc. is boric acid (the main ingredient in Roach Pruf). It is cheap & it lasts as long as it does not get damp. It is a powder that can be poured into cracks, dusted under sinks, and blown under the stove & refrigerator. You can buy it at most hardware stores. Just buy a plastic picnic ketchup/mustard bottle with a pointed top that closes. This works best for getting it into the tight places that it needs to go. If the powder gets damp, just reapply. It will take a few weeks for all of the bugs to die, but you probably won't see them again. The powder sticks to their legs and then they drag it back into their nests where it kills others as well. Good luck!
Eliminating Silverfish: Newspapers?
I also had a problem with silverfish in my basement. One trick that help me was to moisten a newspaper (so that it was damp but not soaking) roll up the newspaper and tie it with an elastic. Do this at night and the next morning slowly open up the newspaper (it should be full of silverfish) next either burn the newspaper or empty into a garbage can outside the house. Do this every night until the newspaper no longer has any silverfish in it.
Eliminating Silverfish: Close Your Drains
Keep your drains closed when they are not in use. I was surprised at how that helped around here.
Eliminating Silverfish: Salt
Try sprinkling regular table salt around your baseboards and all drain pipes and other cracks and crevices. Besides being cheap, salt is not as harmful as other pesticides to children and pets if they should come into contact with it. Of course you will need to repeat this from time to time.
Eliminating Silverfish: Cedar Shavings
Try cedar shavings or cedar pieces. My husband said that he had some at one time and that was how he got rid of them.
Eliminating Silverfish: 4 Step Approach
- Eliminate mold in house.
- Vacuum often.
- The silverfish may be coming from neighboring condos. Speak to neighbors.
Take the Next Step:
- Looking for affordable pest control solutions? check out DIY pest control
- For more on eliminating silverfish or to share your own ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
- See more on pest control.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?